[antlr-interest] Debugging problem

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Sun May 27 05:17:30 PDT 2007

At 21:44 27/05/2007, Ruth Karl wrote:
 >I like ANTLWorks a lot, but I cannot figure out how to tell it
how
 >to debug.
 >Whenever I try to, it obviously tries to connect (to port 49157
 >which seems to be the default setting in preferences - but who
 >... is listening there???) and then (not very surprinsingly)
 >gets a time-out. I do not see, how I could configure the
debugger
 >or how debugging is supposed to work. My target language is
C#...
 >but I can't get it to work with Java either.

There's two separate debugging modes.  The first ("Debug"), only
works with Java AFAIK but automatically compiles and runs the
parser.  The second ("Debug Remote"), I think will work with any
language since it's connecting to an external server.  To use the
second option you have to build a debug parser (extra compiler
option to ANTLR) and start it up, and only *then* start debugging
in ANTLRworks.

Also note that ANTLRworks only seems to be able to debug parsers
-- it won't help with debugging the lexer (except indirectly).