[antlr-interest] Newbie Q: does grammar tree structure matter?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 08:13:03 PST 2007

Hi all,
  Question as I think about designing a grammar: how much does the
resulting tree structure matter? For example, a rule like X: P+; will
create a horizontal tree, whereas X:P X?; will create deep nesting. Is
it a bad idea to design around the idea of trying to avoid this sort
of nesting? Should I just use recursion whenever convenient? Is trying
to keep the tree pretty a total waste of time? :)

The project will be a pretty big and complicated markup->HTML translator.

Thanks all,
Steve