[antlr-interest] PHP target status

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Thu Nov 22 14:38:43 PST 2007

Strangely, I was looking at this at the exact moment your email came in. I can't promise anything because I have the C++ target to finish first and people are waiting patiently on that. I was contemplating trying to generate it from the Java source, which might not give the greatest PHP source code, but should be workable. Of course, the runtime would be a fair amount of stuff to load up as a module, but I quite like PHP and I think there might well be some good use made of such a target.

Writing a target is not a small task, but it isn't a terrible thing if the target language has classes and exceptions as you can pretty much crib off the Java runtime. I have another reason to write a good AST producing Java parser, and plugging in something to spit out PHP might not be too terrible a task, especially targeting a specific set of input source code. The ZEND engine might even make it perform fairly well too.

Jim