[antlr-interest] StringTemplate is Ok, but what about "Action code"?

Harald Mueller harald_m_mueller at gmx.de
Wed Nov 28 07:15:41 PST 2007

Hi -

Why would you want to do this?? - whatever you do in actions, you need to express some sort of "algorithm." I do not see another possibility than to have SOME language that will express what you need. Java is perfect: It will decouple you (they say) from any plat form specifics, because you write it once, and it runs everywhere ;-)

If you do not believe this, you must invest in your own infrastructure for this: Define a language (generic bytecode? Turing machine statements ;-) ?) and deliver in-process compilers which will transform your selected language to something running on the target system.

Not even low coupling with the target language is a worthwhile consideration most times, isn't it? - except for meta-tools like e.g. ANTLR itself.

Regards
Harald M.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------