[antlr-interest] Another newbie Q: AntlrWorks wants to do remote debugging only on my Java-based grammar?

Austin Hastings Austin_Hastings at Yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 21:20:24 PDT 2007

Howdy,

I've been building up a grammar, and I don't know if I've crossed a
magic threshold or if something else is going on. But suddenly, when I
tell AntlrWorks to debug my grammar, it generates, compiles, and then
goes into a "Connecting..." wait loop. After a bit, it times out and
complains that it:

  Cannot launch the debugger.
  Time-out waiting to connect to the remote parser.

This is surprising because I haven't told it to do "Debug Remote..." or
anything - I've got my .g file loaded, it uses Java as the underlying
language, and I want a local debugging session.

If I type in a trivial grammar (target: 'a' | 'b';) then debugging works
fine locally. For some reason my grammar is too complete, or uses some
mysterious feature (I just added @members{...} to my parser - does that
make a difference?) that causes it to want remote mode.

This would be acceptable if I had the first idea how to set up remote
mode - I'm not a java coder by profession, so I'm figuring things out as
I go.

Can anyone tell me:

1. How do I get back to local debugging for my grammar?; or

2. What features cause a java grammar to force remote debugging?; and

3. How to set up remote debugging on a Ubuntu linux system with Sun
Java5-jdk installed?

aTdHvAvNnKcSe,

=Austin