[antlr-interest] Mantra programming language 1.0a1 released

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Oct 5 19:16:17 PDT 2007

Hi,

If you're looking for a good example of how to build a real source-to-
source translator with ANTLR+StringTemplate, Mantra is for you.  The
language itself is not ready to use for building real projects, but
it will be soon.  Best as a teaching tool at the moment.

http://www.linguamantra.org

Mantra (Hindi for "magical incantation") is a new dynamically-typed
programming language that is syntactically similar to Java but with
the flexibility and ease of programming of Ruby or Python. Mantra is
not an interpreted language. Source code is translated to Java and so
mantra programs integrate trivially with plain Java code.

Mantra is meant as a research platform and to teach language design
and implementation. Nonetheless, it should prove a nice little
language.

Mantra is implemented using ANTLR v3.1b1 and StringTemplate 3.1b1 (as
yet unreleased; to be safe, use the libraries provided with the
distribution).

This release is the first alpha release.  I do not have a good unit
testing facility yet and so I cannot guarantee that mantra will do
anything useful for you.  In fact, it might wipe out all life on this
planet. That said, it seems to be pretty useful at the moment has all
of the runtime is written in mantra itself except for the object and
MetaClass classes.

Enjoy.

Ter