[antlr-interest] What's the motivation of using the "tokens section"?

Austin Hastings Austin_Hastings at Yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 09:35:57 PDT 2007

The tokens section is used to declare tokens that you have not specified
elsewhere in your grammar. For example, if you want to emit an AST with
nodes that precisely specify what is happening at a particular point in
your code, you may opt to emit tokens like "FUNC_WITH_NO_ARGS" instead
of emitting a function and then having to re-parse the argument info out
of the tree nodes.

That would require putting

tokens { FUNC_WITH_NO_ARGS; }

in your grammar to let Antlr know that you intended to use that symbol
later.

=Austin