[antlr-interest] apostophe crashes Interpreter

Geoff hendrey geoff_hendrey at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 27 22:18:03 PDT 2007

I built a simple grammar, most of which consists of lines that must be terminated by a semicolon. Occasionally I make a typo, since apostrophe is next to semicolon on the keyboard, and I wind up typing an apostrophe to the right of the semi colon.

The presence of this apostrophe seems to result in either everything after the apostrophe being ignored, as if it is not there, or the parser itself crashing.

Has anyone seen this before?

Here is the stack trace that is printed in AntlrWorks console:

[21:39:54] java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.antlr.tool.Interpreter.parseEngine(Interpreter.java:268)
    at org.antlr.tool.Interpreter.parse(Interpreter.java:184)
    at org.antlr.tool.Interpreter.parse(Interpreter.java:199)
    at org.antlr.tool.Interpreter.parse(Interpreter.java:191)
    at org.antlr.works.interpreter.EditorInterpreter.process(Unknown Source)
    at org.antlr.works.interpreter.EditorInterpreter.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)