[antlr-interest] Adding antlr to Visual Studio C#

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Fri Sep 14 14:09:26 PDT 2007

At 02:24 15/09/2007, Arto Viitanen wrote:
 >How can I add Antlr (I use the binary tool from
 >http://www.antlr.org/download/Antlr.Tool.zip) to Visual Studio
C#?
 >I have defined it as external tool:
 >
 >Title: [Antlr]
 >Command: C:\antlr\Antlr\Antlr3.Tool.exe
 >Arguments: ${ItemPath}
 >Initial directory: ${ItemDir}
 >
 >+ Use output Window
 >
 >This works fine, but I have to select [Antlr] from tool menu
each
 >time I like to run antlr to a .g file. Since I have
 >one file for parser/lexer and another for tree walker (most
likely
 >I will get yet another to generate code), I'd like
 >to make the Visual Studio realize that when an .g file is
changed,
 >it should run the [Antlr] tool for the file.

There should be a .rules file in lib\C\vs2005\rulefiles.  If you
import that into your VS2005 project then it should be able to
compile ANTLR files automatically -- though it expects certain
file extensions (since it needs to know which output files will be
generated) -- .g3 for a combined grammar and .g3t for a tree
grammar, for example.

It is geared for C rather than C#, though, so it won't work
directly.  You'd have to edit it first to remove the references to
.h files and change the .c to .cs.