[antlr-interest] Ambiguity error in lexer generation

Hardy, Stephen Stephen.Hardy at digi.com
Wed Sep 19 09:23:39 PDT 2007

Ah, so it is not just me getting these things!

Are you using NetBeans IDE?  I find that after quite a few rounds of
editing/compiling/testing, ANTLR starts to give some whacko errors (I
have an ANT target to automatically rebuild the parser when I build the
project).  Sometimes, doing nothing except rebuilding (F5 or F6) clears
the error.  At other times, I need to get right out of NetBeans and
restart it.

Since there is no such thing as nondeterminism in a working computer, my
guess is that there is a bug in the Java memory manager which corrupts
the heap, or maybe even Windows or the PC hardware is at fault (*).  I
doubt it would be a bug in ANTLR itself.

Regards,
SJH

(*) Most people assume PC hardware is fairly reliable; unfortunately,
it's nowhere near as reliable as one would hope.  In particular, the
no-name-brand stuff put in cheapo PCs always works pretty near the
limits of what it is designed to do.  Even name-brand components have
fairly slim operating margins.  It is the price we pay for our penchant
for running the latest bloatware from Microsoft...