[antlr-interest] Newbie question: ignoring tokens, or is there a better way?

Daniel Pitts Daniel.Pitts at cnet.com
Thu Sep 27 14:18:34 PDT 2007

Basically,  my input is something like:

something{
value: >>>
This is the text
<<<
}

I want a rule that can give me as a value "This is the text".
I've tried:

LQS: LQSS *options {greedy=false;} : .)* LQSE;
LQSS : '>>>\n';
LQSE: '\n<<<';

and I've tried using channel=HIDDEN on LQSS and LQSE, but then I get
errors while parsing other parts of my source.

I have a work around, but its ugly.  I have a rule

lstring returns [String value]: LQS
{value=$LQS.getText().replaceFirst(">>>\n","").replaceFirst("\n<<<$",
"");};

but that seems like an awful big hack.  Any suggestions?