[antlr-interest] A rule can be mutually left-recursive with itself?

Jeremy Sheldon Jeremy.Sheldon at 90degreesoftware.com
Fri Sep 28 13:54:33 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm getting the following error:

Aborting because the following rules are mutually left-recursive:

    [foo]

I'm not sure what this means.  A rule can be mutually left-recursive
with itself?  So far, I've only seen two or more rules being
left-recursive with each other.  This appears to be different than the
regular 'this rule is left-recursive' message and seems confirmed by
Antlrworks complaining if I try to get Antlrworks to 'remove left
recursion' on the rule.

Can someone please explain this one to me?

Thanks in advance for your time,

Jeremy