[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.0.1: invalid character column in a mismatch character error message.

Foust javafoust at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 14:05:46 PDT 2008

Gavin wrote:
> You still need to give line/column information,
> so that IDEs can jump straight to the location of
> the error themselves.  (I'm assuming here that
> the IDE is separate from ANTLR and can't access
> its internal structures -- and most IDEs expect
> errors to have a line:column format.)

Is that true? The popular IDEs don't take line + character offset?

If so, then you have a compelling argument to add Tab translation support.
You may, anyway. But with regard to what IDEs expect, it's difficult to
believe that they'd want anything other than the line# and raw number of
characters from the beginning of the line. Do you think C++ compilers are
really doing character -> column# translations (with Tab translation) before
outputting syntax errors?

Brent