[antlr-interest] ANTLR v3.1 released!

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Thu Aug 14 15:40:47 PDT 2008

Andy Tripp schrieb:
> Terence Parr wrote:
>> Get it while it's hot!
>>
>> http://www.antlr.org/download.html
>
> Congrats on getting this out!
>

>> Thanks to all the target developers for there hard work!!!
>
> Hey, FWIW, a friend of mine defined a subset of Java called "Java--",
> and built a parser (using Javac.Compiler) that generates both
> C++ and C#.  Java-- just uses the core language without anything
> fancy (e.g. generics) and very use of little JDK library (String
> and not much else).
>
> Perhaps using that would be a better solution than having separate
> Java, C, C++, and C# targets?

Are you proposing a combined target for Java-like languages? How do you
deal with action code then? Is it possible to interface e.g. C# code
required for symbol tables? Also I can't see, how you can circumvent the
  runtime libraries with this method. Even the templates of Java and C#
differ at some subtle points, as I've noticed today again. Overall, I'd
still prefer the approach of Yggdrasil over your proposal.

Johannes