[antlr-interest] Sorry, one more try, now with more information…

Philip Mötteli Philip.Moetteli at tele2.ch
Mon Dec 1 14:46:10 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to ANTLR and so I thought to start with the
simple 'Expression Evaluator Tutorial'. I downloaded the most recent
version of ANTLRworks for Mac OS X (I run the most recent version
10.5.5), pasted the grammar into the editor, picked 'prog', entered
'2+3*4' and pressed start. Instead of building the parse tree,
ANTLRworks just says: "The interpreter does not run actions nor
evaluate syntactic predicates. Use the debugger if you want to use
these ANTLR features." Apart from the fact, that I wonder what the
interpreter then would like to do, I can't enter anything in the
debugger. The panes don't accept input.

Can anybody explain a newbie what he should do?

Thanks
Phil

BTW: This is the console output:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.antlr.xjlib.foundation.XJUtils.concatPath(Unknown Source)
	at org.antlr.xjlib.foundation.XJUtils.concatPath(Unknown Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works.components.editor.ComponentEditorGrammar.getOutputPath(Unknown
Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works.components.editor.ComponentEditorGrammar.getANTLRTool(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.antlr.works.grammar.engine.GrammarEngineImpl.getANTLRTool(Unknown
Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works.grammar.antlr.ANTLRGrammarEngineImpl.createNewGrammar(Unknown
Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works
.grammar.antlr.ANTLRGrammarEngineImpl.createParserGrammar(Unknown
Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works
.grammar.antlr.ANTLRGrammarEngineImpl.createCombinedGrammar(Unknown
Source)
	at
org
.antlr
.works.grammar.antlr.ANTLRGrammarEngineImpl.createGrammars(Unknown
Source)
	at
org.antlr.works.grammar.antlr.ANTLRGrammarEngineImpl.analyze(Unknown
Source)
	at org.antlr.works.grammar.engine.GrammarEngineImpl.analyze(Unknown
Source)
	at org.antlr.works.interpreter.EditorInterpreter.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)