[antlr-interest] Generating text from models

Mike Pagel mike at mpagel.de
Wed Dec 3 15:14:44 PST 2008

Hi there,

first of all: I am pretty new to ANTLR and to this mailing list. I did
search the archive for information but could not find anything
addressing my question. If it's in there, just send the link, please...

Now:

I am coming from a modeling (UML-like, graphical DSLs) background, where
you typically design the abstract syntax of a language in form of a
meta-model consisting of meta-classes, their attributes and relations
among each other. I have used a number of code generators before but I
am wondering whether ANTLR can also generate code from models
(=meta-model instances). By this I mean by using grammars similar to how
ASTs are walked in a tree grammar.

Does something like this already exist? That way you could also generate
code from business objects (POJOs) through reflection...

Any input and direction is welcome. If this is something not
done/possible so far I might try and explore this route a bit.

Thanks a lot,
Mike