[antlr-interest] Objective-C

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Thu Dec 11 08:13:10 PST 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 20:12 +1030, David Lloyd wrote:

> Jim,
>
> On 05/12/2008, at 2:50 AM, Jim Idle wrote:
> > I don't think that Objective-C has been abandoned , but it has not
> > been updated for a long time hence I doubt it is useful at the
> > moment. Hopefully someone will pick it up again. In the meantime,
> > you will need to use the C target I think.
>
> It's still well supported on OS X (i.e. Apple); I tried to get GnuStep
> to behave itself but eventually gave up because it would do all sorts
> of weird stuff to me. That said, the fact a language hasn't been
> updated for a long time doesn't always indicate it's dead (Cobol is
> still there and in frightening places; a supplier bank claimed their
> code was all in Java now but I pointed out their documentation which
> was clearly lifted straight from a COBOL program itself).
>
> DSL

You mis-understand - I didn't meant that Objective-C itself was in any
doubt - just that the Objective-C target for ANTLR was a little behind
and I am not clear if anyone is actively working on it at the
moment :-). Personally I don't think any language ever dies a death
really - there is always someone using it somewhere ;-)

Jim