[antlr-interest] Bug? "new (new" code generated.

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:47:28 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 10:55 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/2/08, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think I ran into this same problem. I believe the following is a
> > true statement.
> >
> > If your lexer grammar and parser grammar are in separate files then in
> > order to debug the parser grammar using ANTLRWorks, you have to use
> > remote debugging.
>
> If so, then the following is also a true statement:
>
> The benefits of having a lexer grammar and parser grammar in separate
> files are outweighed by the inconvenience of not being able to use
> ANTLRworks.
>
> :)

I don't understand why ANTLRWorks can't deal with the grammars being
in separate files and support debugging without using the remote
option. I doubt this is something it couldn't do. I suspect it's just
something that Jean Bovet hasn't gotten around to implementing.

> I think one of the difficulties I'm having is that I don't *have* a
> "build script" to modify. I guess there's an unstated, fairly
> reasonable assumption that one is attempting to build a parser that
> does something: hence one sooner or later has to write a program that
> does something with it. Hence, one has a build infrastructure with a
> script of some kind.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any of that, because I"m not attempting to
> build a working program here; my goal is purely to produce a grammar
> that describes a certain language. I'm using ANTLR primarily to verify
> that the grammar is in fact correct. I don't really expect to use the
> generated Java file for anything.
>
> All of this explains why I panic whenever the ANTLRworks IDE fails for
> some reason - I don't have much way of investigating the problem. But
> I guess I'll have to look at setting up a more serious build
> infrastructure than I have so far.
>
> (in the short term, I've remerged my two grammars)

That makes sense. If you ever decide to create an Ant build script,
I'd be glad to help by sharing mine.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.