[antlr-interest] internal error

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Fri Feb 1 17:19:41 PST 2008

At 12:15 2/02/2008, Olivier Lefevre wrote:
 >No, it's not. This is Java, so it doesn't have to blow up: it
 >could catch the exception and try to reason about its cause.
 >I hope some future version will do that.

The cause is a mistake on the part of the grammar author.  It's
not the parser's responsibility to sort that out.  (It might be
the compiler's responsibility, but as already explained ANTLR's
ability to detect this sort of thing is limited at the moment
because it's still using an old version internally.)

Exploding is a perfectly reasonable response to this sort of
thing: it's a situation that should never have happened in the
first place.