[antlr-interest] Debugger performance indicative of actual performance?

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 12:58:04 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008 3:27 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Using the debugger to parse some typical input is taking what seems
> like a very long time to me - 5-10 seconds for a 7kb file. How
> indicative is this likely to be of the performance I'll get in a
> production environment? How much can a grammar be tuned for
> performance?
>
> I ask because 5-10 seconds could well be 2 or even 3 orders of
> magnitude too slow...

I can't answer the question. However, I've never found it useful to
process that much input in the debugger. Typically I'm using it to
verify that my grammar is producing the AST that I want for certain
kinds of input. The amount of input required to verify that for me is
typically 10 lines or less. Looking through the AST for 7 KB of input
seems overwhelming.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.