[antlr-interest] Minor suggestion re. Java output

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Mon Feb 4 03:17:51 PST 2008

Guntis Ozols schrieb:
>> The Java target remains for the foreseeable future 1.4.
>> Could do that only for C#, but for Java you are out of luck.
>> As long people use 1.4 for projects, ANTLR can't easily move
>> Johannes
>
> I do not understand those people.
> Do they develop their compilers on embedded devices?

They may not develop their compilers on on embedded devices but maybe
the compilers have to run on those devices. Or it could be a policy. Big
companies with security in mind tend to be one or two versions behind
the current software.

> You can use generics, enums, ... and still be compatible with java 1.4.
> Please take a look at retroweaver - http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/
> and reconsider 'foreseeable future'.

I am the wrong person to convince - I do not use Java, if I can help it.
The only way Ter will change his mind is if you can convince him of
being able to enforce the use of RetroWeaver for those, who have to use 1.4.

Johannes