[antlr-interest] pseudocode translator to java,c and Ada

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Thu Feb 21 16:45:15 PST 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008 16:04, Joe Token wrote:
> There might be a misunderstanding....
>
> Let's say, i am an average end user and i want to write requirements
> in pseudocode that is close to Pascal (and of course, i have defined
> a BNF for 'this' pseudocode)

Well, then start with Pascal.

If you haven't figured it out by now, no one has written an ANTLR
grammar for some nebulous, unspecified, vaguely similar to Pascal
language. And, dare I ask, "why would they?"

You're really on your own. You have to be 100% precise and specific
about both the input and the output languages you wish to work with.
There's simply no way around that, and saying things like "close to
Pascal" simply won't cut it.

> I doubt that this average end user

Well, your "average" and mine are probably very different.

> is familiar to Lisp...(and to follow you, i shall say that there are a
> million of Lisp...even i guess you are talking about smthg like
> Common Lisp) Then...
> I would like to know, if someone has the idea of making a Java or Ada
> translator , from this "common" pseudocode,

Oy. There _is no "common" pseudocode_!! None. Never. Anywhere!!!!

> just as in the past (some 20 years ago) people developed CASE tools
> for the lazy programmers..

Excuse me? What CASE tools? For which "lazy" programmers? And, if I dare
say it, what might be the proper characterization of someone who wants
to use someone else's grammar? "Lazy," perhaps?

> Thanks all  !   :-\

Yeah, sure.

RRS