[antlr-interest] "An Introduction to ANTLR" presentation slides

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Fri Feb 29 10:33:45 PST 2008

I agree.

The issue (for me) is not about "form" vs. "meaning". We all agree that
each recognizer
(lexer, parser, treewalker) accepts things in a certain "form" and
produces some sort of
data structure output that contains "meaning".

The issue (for me) is whether the term "syntax" is commonly used to
refer to "form" for anything
(lexer, parser, or treewalker), or whether "syntax" just really refers
to the "form" of a parser's
input. The "form" of a lexer's input is commonly referred to as
something like "valid sequence of
characters". The "form" of a treewalker's input is just called an "AST".