[antlr-interest] "An Introduction to ANTLR" presentation slides

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Fri Feb 29 10:38:08 PST 2008

Gerald B. Rosenberg wrote:
> Not really.   Consider the statements:
>
> do { X } while (Y);
> while (Y) { X } ;
>
> They are syntactically different -- reflecting static structure.
But in both cases, a treewalker would get the same AST.

So this is a good example of the common usage of the term "syntax". We all
agree that these two are "syntactially different", and yet to a treewalker's
"syntactic predicate", they are identical.

That, to me, means that having a treewalker construct with a name containing
the word "syntax" (or derivative) doesn't make sense.

And with that, I'll drop it.