[antlr-interest] "An Introduction to ANTLR" presentation slides

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Fri Feb 29 13:08:05 PST 2008

Gerald B. Rosenberg wrote:

> Even if they were represented as the same sub-tree, whether it could
> be unrolled or further transformed in some other way could be
> dependent on surrounding syntax.  Or, for that matter, dependent on
> the internal syntax of the X sub-tree.

> So, it would be entirely valid for a syntactic predicate to consider
> the surrounding or internal syntax of a sub-tree in deciding on a
> "correct" production, even in a treewalker.
Ah... I see...you're casually referring to AST structure as "syntax" to
give Terrence something convenient to site
and show that he's not the only one who uses the word "syntax" that way ;)

Sorry, that doesn't count ;)
No retroactive immunity allowed.
You're just confusing people by referring to AST structure as
"surrounding syntax" and "internal syntax".
Better to stick with the tried-and-true "tree structure" nomenclature.

Andy