[antlr-interest] Javadoc style parsing

Adam Connelly adam.rpconnelly at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:22:05 PST 2008

Hi,

Just wanted to ask for some ideas.  I'm designing a language and have most
of the grammar done (I've still to add a few bits in and put in the template
generation).  The language is a modeling language for describing some
database objects and I'd like to allow some meta-data to hold a human
friendly description of these objects.

I had an idea of having a special type of comment (like in javadoc) that I
would send to a different channel than the standard parser.  I could then
parse these comments separately (although this might not end up being
desirable).  This would mean that I wouldn't have to put in references to an
optional comment rule wherever comments were allowed.

The downside to this that I can see at the moment is that I'm not sure how I
would then get the information about the object that each comment was
attached to.

Any ideas?

Adam