[antlr-interest] Troubles getting started

Shawn Poulson spoulson3 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:20:55 PST 2008

Hello to all,

I'm looking for a good language parser for C# and came across ANTLR.
It looks pretty sharp from the web site, but I haven't been able to get
it to run yet.  I know a little Java to get by, so please bear with me
if there's anything I missed.

I'm going by the Getting started page on the Wiki
"http://www.antlr.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=728", but that
information seems too little to work.  It doesn't say what tar file to
get, but my best guess is the one labeled "source distribution" on the
download page.  But, the file structure is different in that one.

What I'm starting with is the examples-v3.  I installed nant 0.85, have
the source distribution's lib folder in my CLASSPATH, and ran "nant
build" from the csharp examples folder.  I get the error
"java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/antlr/Tool", but my
antlr-3.0.1.jar is in the classpath.  I tried renaming to antlr.jar,
but no change.

Also, the instructions in the examples README.txt seem to conflict.  It
mentions I need a lot of various files, but doesn't really say where to
get them.  I'm not sure if the source distribution includes everything
I need.

Can anyone help me out?  Thanks!

---
Shawn Poulson