[antlr-interest] Error nodes created upon syntax error

Terence Parr parrt at antlr.org
Fri Jan 11 11:18:42 PST 2008

Hi Alessandro. thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, I've been thinking
about this problem and it is even more general.  What do you do about
actions that must execute after recovery even though they refer to a
token that does not exist?!

The unfortunate truth comes down to the following: single token
insertion and deletion recovery with in an alternative is really sexy
for journal papers, but I believe I've convinced myself that they are
not practical.  Well, at least in the presence of actions.

The  Simple solution is to turn this off, relying on a normal "exit
rule upon syntax error" mechanism but leave the insertion and deletion
mechanism as an option by overriding methods.

Ter