[antlr-interest] Query: Rule Based Command Line Response Parsing using ANTLR

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Jan 16 11:15:42 PST 2008

At 22:51 16/01/2008, Anuj Mehta wrote:
>Can we use ANTLR for parsing "response" from a command (CLI)?
>
>Example: For command 'route' following is response.
>
>[anuj at anuj ~]$ /sbin/route
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
>Use    Iface
>172.31.44.0     *               255.255.255.0          U     0
>0         0         eth0
>169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0              U     0
>0         0         eth0
>default         172.31.44.1     0.0.0.0                  UG    0
>0        0        eth0

You could, but it's probably just as easy (if not easier) to parse
this as simple tab-separated data.

Of course, since this command is not required to generate stable
or machine-parsable output, a better option would be to track down
the APIs you need to call to obtain the equivalent information,
rather than trying to parse the output of another command.