[antlr-interest] Meaning of the {synpred} objects in the Clif.g (ISO Common Logic) parser

John Black JohnBlack at kashori.com
Wed Jan 30 05:43:41 PST 2008

I have been viewing the Clif.g [1] grammar in AntlrWorks and I am puzzled by the errors the interpreter produces when I try to parse some clif strings with that GUI when loaded with that grammer. Here is an example:

  a.. FailedPredicateException(sentence,{synpred41}?)

I am also curious about boxes shown in the 'Syntax Diagram' with such names as '{synpred41}',  '{synpred42}', '{synpred43}', shown when looking at the 'sentence' goal. Can someone point me to documentation that explains these objects? Or is someone willing to explain them to me? Also, do they have any affect on the operation of the parser?

I am interested in this now that ISO Common Logic has become an official ISO standard [2] for symbolic logic and conceptual graphs. Also, I am interested in helping to get the "ISO Common Logic Tools" [3] SourceForge project jump started.

Cheers,
John Black
www.kashori.com

1. http://pando.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pando/code/modules/parsers/src/net/sf/pando/parsers/clif3/grammar/Clif3.g?view=log