[antlr-interest] ANTLR C++ target

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Thu Jul 3 14:10:14 PDT 2008

At 17:17 3/07/2008, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
 >And what need in stack ?
 >
 >For debugging purpose we can easy set breakpoint on exception as
in
 >XCODE (GCC) so in MS Visual.
 >
 >For release ... I do not see many sense.

Exceptions are intended for errors that you weren't really
expecting (running out of memory, corrupted program state, etc),
and as such they're much more likely to occur "in the field".  To
be able to attach a debugger to it and get a stack trace you need
to reproduce the problem case locally, which isn't always
possible, especially when you're not entirely sure what it is.

(This is less likely to be a problem with ANTLR-generated
exceptions, since they should be easily reproducible just by using
the same input file.  I'm just saying that in general the above is
true.)