[antlr-interest] ANTLR-3.1b1 + ANTLRWorks-1.2b5 feedback

Laurent Caillette laurent.caillette at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:04:57 PDT 2008

Hi,

First off, thanks for ANTLR3 and AntlrWorks. It's an amazing piece of work.

I just had a try with ANTLR-3.1.0b1 and I hit following issues.

ANTLR-3.1.0b1: No CommonErrorTreeAdaptor
The new mechanism for reporting errors seems to return a
CommonErrorTree. It's not documented and I cannot specify an
implementation of my own (as I can with CommonTreeAdaptor) so I have
to do ugly things. I guess it's about reporting errors through a tree,
handling multiple errors. I like it but lack of documentation left me
in the dark for now.

File encoding with ANTLRWorks-1.2b5 on MacOSX
My grammar defines tokens like '\u00e0' ('à') and I'm trying to read a
file encoded as ISO-8859-1. Even adding -Dfile.encoding=ISO-8859-1 as
a VMOptions in info.plist file of the ANTLRWorks package, ANTLRWorks
doesn't recognize characters with accents. This also occurs with
ANTLRWorks-1.1.7 but not inside my tests which rely on ANTLR-3.0.1.jar
directly (the Ant script sets the file.encoding system property).

Hope you'll find this useful in some way.

Regards,

Laurent Caillette
Software architect
http://novelang.sf.net