[antlr-interest] Getting started.

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Fri Jul 11 14:51:13 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 13:12 -0700, rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:

> I have read the web pages and several "how-to" steps but I always get stuck on installation. For example to integrate ANTLRWorks with Visual Studio it is suggested that I download both ANTLR and ANTLRWorks and extract the files to a directory of my choosing. I choose C:/Program Files/ANTLR. So far so good. Next it states that I should "double-click on the jar file". First, I was unable to locate a jar file anywhere within the antlrworks-1.1.7.zip file. How is this created?

When you download on Windows, it (IE I think) insists on changing the
file ending from .jar to .zip. The ANTLRWorks download has everything
you need in the one jar and you don't need to expand it. Download the
antlrworks jar and rename it back to .jar. Then create a windows
shortcut that does this:

%windir%\system32\java.exe -Xmx750M -jar c:\antlr\antlrworks-1.2b5.jar

...adapting the names as required. You can use the version of ANTLR
inside ANTLRWorks to generate the code, but it is probably best to
download the ANTLR runtime and tool jars and use those when you want to
run outside ANTLRWorks.

Jim