[antlr-interest] Install Java on Windows 2008 Server

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Sat Jul 12 08:37:12 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 23:10 -0700, rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:

> This question isn't specifically about ANTLR but it is preventing me from running ANTLR and that is the only reason I want to install Java.
>
> Basically when I try to install Java from Sun's Web site (since Java 1.5 or higher is required for ANTLR) I get a warning that the security settings will not allow me to install ActiveX. The suggestion is to go to Internet Options -> Custom Settings and allow ActiveX. But, when I look at the Internet Options the "Custom Settings" button is greyed out and I cannot seem to get it to be enabled. Anyone else been down this path? It seems specific to Windows 2008 Server (maybe Vista also) as I have had no trouble installing with Windows 2003.

It is likely that the security settings for the domain account you are
using do not allow you to change those settings in IE. However, I would
be very surprised if Sun required Windows users to use an ActiveX
control to download - are you sure it isn't disabling dynamic
content/scripts of some sort instead?

Some solutions:

1) Just download the offline installation;
2) Download the offline installation on another system and just copy it
using Windows networking;
3) Load firefox;

Jim