[antlr-interest] Invalid grammar name, translate to 3.0 Grammar.

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Mon Jul 14 10:10:58 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 09:40 -0700, rkevinburton at charter.net wrote:

> I have two problems. The first is related to the ECMA Script grammar submitted to the ANTLR Grammar page. I tried to load it into ANTLRWorks and several errors were generated:
>
> The first is with:
>
> grammar JavaScript;
>
> ANTLRWorks indicates that this is not a valid grammar name. Why not? Where is a list of the "valid" grammar names?

Undoubtedly, you have used teh name JavaScript in your grammar statement
but have not used the same name when naming your source file, which
should be JavaScript.g

> The second question is resulting from trying to load several of the grammars from the ANTLR grammar page into ANTLRWorks

>  (KCSParse is one example CSharpParser.g) and I get an error indicating that this grammar is not recognized as an ANTLR 3.x grammar.

> Is there a specification somewhere that can tell me how to translate "earlier" grammars to 3.x?

There is a conversion tool on the downloads page, but it is very
experimental right now, so the best thing is to do this by hand. Start
with the 3.x example downloads though, then you won't need to do this.

Jim