[antlr-interest] we need a name for a new rewriting tool

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Wed Jul 23 10:04:20 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 09:50, Terence Parr wrote:
> Ha! Hilarious, Ger!
>
> True, it does not have to describe what it does I guess, but
> sometimes it works well.  Microsoft Word is a pretty good name you
> have to admit.   By analogy, we should call this tool "token". :)
>
> I'm also concerned that metamorph has three syllables. I think it has
> to have one or two.  StringTemplate fails this test for example but
> ANTLR is good.

An important factor to consider about naming projects in this age is how
it interacts with today's dumb but far-reaching Web indexers.
Specifically, using an real word, let alone a common one, can make it
very hard for people to find you. If you really want to use a real
English word, it's advisable to create a variant spelling.

ANTLR works very well in this regard, since it's not even an English
word.

From this perspective, "Brian" would be a singularly bad choice.

> Ter

Randall Schulz