[antlr-interest] A postmortem of my use of antler

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 09:48:16 PDT 2008

--- Benjamin Shropshire <shro8822 at vandals.uidaho.edu>
wrote:

> I don't want to be a troll so plese understand I'm
> trying to be helpful
> with these comments, not antagonistic.

These are my reactions to the entire thread:

Yes, documentation for v3 is a little--well,
quite--sparse and probably does assume a basic
familiarity with theory.  I initially picked up
(enough) theory from reading/following (enough of)
Ter's course notes.  Good, good start for compiler
theory, especially for working with ANTLR
specifically.  I'm cheap so I haven't bought Ter's
book yet.  I probably will very soon.  I'm reading
Aho/Sethi/Ullman (the Dragon book) now, an older
version that I found at a thrift store (like I said,
I'm cheap) and I'm finding it quite helpful for
filling in the numerous gaps in my knowledge.  One
point I noticed was made in "Dragon" was one that's
already been made here:  it's easier to make changes
to a grammar that's specified in a structured form.
My first real ANTLR project was done in ANTLR2 and my
department swears by it.  I mention this because it's
in stark contrast to your boss's and colleague's
reactions.

$0.02,
Matt