[antlr-interest] A postmortem of my use of antler

Matt Benson gudnabrsam at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 10:59:31 PDT 2008

--- Benjamin Shropshire <shro8822 at vandals.uidaho.edu>
wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
> > --- Benjamin Shropshire
> <shro8822 at vandals.uidaho.edu>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> I don't want to be a troll so plese understand
> I'm
> >> trying to be helpful
> >> with these comments, not antagonistic.
> >>

> > These are my reactions to the entire thread:
> >
> > Yes, documentation for v3 is a little--well,
> > quite--sparse and probably does assume a basic
> > familiarity with theory.  I initially picked up
> > (enough) theory from reading/following (enough of)
> > Ter's course notes.  Good, good start for compiler
> > theory, especially for working with ANTLR
> > specifically.  I'm cheap so I haven't bought Ter's
> > book yet.  I probably will very soon.  I'm reading
> > Aho/Sethi/Ullman (the Dragon book) now, an older
> > version that I found at a thrift store (like I
> said,
> > I'm cheap) and I'm finding it quite helpful for
> > filling in the numerous gaps in my knowledge.
> I find it odd that people keep dragging language
> theory into the thread.
>
> IMHO: Language theroy + ANTLR == Just dandy
>
> I didn't have any problems with it.
>

> BTW just to get it out there: TDAR is a well written
> and valuable book
> and it presents material clearly and /is/ much
> better than the web page.
> My only real concern is that it doesn't present /up
> front/ what I see as
> the most important pieces of information. Namely the
> architectural
> structure that antlr is designed for you will use.
> (I don't expect that
> to be changed, it's a book after all and that would
> be rather costly).

I think the reason parsing theory keeps coming up is
that "the architectural structure that antlr is
designed for you will use" ==
lexer->parser->treeparser == parsing theory, more or
less.  There's a problem _somewhere_.  I'll apologize
in advance for being blunt, but the sheer number of
misspellings and grammatical blunders (transcending
mere errors) in your posts give me doubts regarding
your facility with language concepts, in any context.
I'll retract that statement, however, if you are not,
as I would infer from your name and location, a native
English speaker.

-Matt