[antlr-interest] A postmortem of my use of antler

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Tue Mar 11 11:00:53 PDT 2008

Gerald B. Rosenberg wrote:
>  And, design in Antlr is largely a function of the language to be
> recognized.  If you look at the archived grammars, what at first
> appears to be wildly varying styles is more a consequence of design
> choices tailored to the intended function of the grammars.

Here:
http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2004-October/009742.html
I compare the two ASTs built by two people for the same language (Java
1.5), and the
ASTs have some differences. There's no particular reason for the
differences (it's not like one person
needed the AST to look one way, and the other another way).

Again, my point is that it would be nice to have ANTLR by default build
a reasonable AST without
any explicit AST-building syntax ("^" and "!") in the grammar.