[antlr-interest] How do you document your grammars?

Ralf Cremerius ralf_c at web.de
Wed Mar 12 08:03:04 PDT 2008

Hello,

I've got to build some documentation for my ANTLR project now and found the question, how to do this efficiently, to be very common?
In my case, nothing absolutely magical (like complex actions, etc.) happens inside the ANTLR grammar, so the EBNF-notation seems to be very suitable to document the recognized language.
Moreover it would be very practical to have a EBNF-grammar with clickable hyperlinks between rule occurences and their respective definitions.
I tried to do this with LaTeX, but it is a tedious and error prone task. Has anyone a better solution, how to do it (ideally generating some of the contents)?

Of course, ANTLRWorks would theoretically have the capabilities to accomplish this - but it isn't made to generate hyperlinked EBNFs.  ;-)

Best regards,
  Ralf