[antlr-interest] postmortem

Thomas Brandon tbrandonau at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 11:46:53 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Andy Tripp <antlr at jazillian.com> wrote:
>  My guess is that you could use various heuristics to try to figure out what
> a reasonable AST might be.
>  But that approach of using heuristics and producing less-than-perfect
> output doesn't go over well with the compiler crowd.

Oh come on Andy. No one said that. A feature that produces imperfect
but usable output than can be tweaked to fit needs is fine. A tool
that produces output that is unusable and where the effort required
and end-product quality is worse than just doing it by hand to begin
with is just stupid whether you're a member of the compiler
intelligentsia or a practical layman.

Tom.