[antlr-interest] faster expression parsing

Austin Hastings Austin_Hastings at Yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 21:10:38 PDT 2008

Terence Parr wrote:
> So, I should have been working on something else but got to thinking
> about how annoying it is specifying expressions in recursive descent
> parsers.  You have to have a new rule for each precedence level.  This
> is also very slow. Just to match 34 it has to descend about 15 method
> calls.

I totally agree. (See thread at:
http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2007-December/025112.html)

> I built a prototype single-rule (plus primary and suffix) operator
> matching thingie today.  I should be able to generate this from some
> metameta syntax in antlr.  Try it out...it's amazing (v3.1 required
> due to tree bulding bug fix).

Closer. I want the syntax built in to Antlr. Make expression
sub-grammars some kind of callable thing.

string_expr:
    @expression_subgrammar { operators = '+', '.', 'x', 'trim'(),
'ltrim'(), 'rtrim'()  ; }
    ;