[antlr-interest] JavaScript Target

Joey Hurst jhurstus at gmail.com
Thu May 15 21:19:54 PDT 2008

Hello all,
For the last few months I've been working on a JavaScript ANTLR target.
Things are coming along quite well; as of today the target passes most of
the tests (ported to JsUnit) shipped with the 3.0.1 source distribution.
I've focused on the tests in the runtime/Python/tests/ directory, although
there are others too.  I've maintained API compatibility with the Java
target where possible, but there are a few places where JavaScript couldn't
quite handle the task at hand (e.g. there is no reliable way to do runtime
stack reflection in EcmaScript/JavaScript version 3).

I write this message because I wanted to get a couple legal and scheduling
issues cleared up before I continue any further:

1) 99% of the JavaScript target code is original (although heavily inspired,
of course, by the other targets).  The remaining 1% consists of a modified
version of the Yahoo class provided by the Yahoo UI Library.  This code is
licensed under the BSD license like ANTLR, so I assume this won't cause any
problems.  If this is an issue I could rewrite the code, but it would be a
hassle.  Here's a link to the YUI license:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/license.html
Here's a link to the Yahoo class docs for anyone who is curious:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/yahoo/

2) It appears that the 3.1 release is imminent.  My work has been based off
the 3.01 release to date.  Do y'all think it would be valuable to create a
finished 3.0.1 compatible version of the JavaScript target, or should I port
what I have now to 3.1 and release that?

I'll send out the documentation and code in about another month.  It should
be complete and pretty robust at that time.

Terence: I'm a fellow SF denizen.  I'll have to buy you a beer sometime in
appreciation for this great tool!

Thanks,
Joey Hurst