[antlr-interest] C# Target Poll

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Sun May 18 03:56:51 PDT 2008

I didn't see a reply to my other message so...

> While thinking about future improvements, I came across over
> the switch of the used collections from the .NET versions to
> the one supplied by C5 <http://www.itu.dk/research/c5/>.

What future impovements are these?

-------------------------------

<aside>
>From your other messages, I got the sense that you feel C5 is a 'better'
collection library. I won't disagree but, that is not a good enough reason
IMO to switch from BCL to C5 for the ANTLR C# target:
- ANTLR's needs can be (and is) met with the BCL (an ISet<T> abstraction is
nice, not essential)
- user familiarity with the BCL is very important for a *widely-distributed*
tool such as ANTLR
- there are many, many, more potential [future] contributors who know and
use the BCL than C5
- performance is better with the BCL than with C5 in general (in my
experience in any case)

I do use C5 btw.
</aside>

Micheal