[antlr-interest] C# Target Poll

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Sun May 18 13:11:53 PDT 2008

At 01:51 19/05/2008, Johannes Luber wrote:
 >Beyound that were only the mentioned addition of debug
interfaces
 >to the normal parser (to allow one driver program handle both
 >kinds of generation without resorting to manual editing or
 >preprocessor tricks, even if using the debug option for normal
 >parsers is ignored - but no one commented on that yet)

I'm not sure how useful that would be.  Generally the debug
interfaces are only consumed by ANTLRworks, and the driver for
doing debugging work will generally look completely different from
the driver for doing "real" work.  I guess it would mean you
wouldn't have to write a little throwaway program to do the
debugging with, but I don't think that's a big hardship.  I'd
rather not have the non-debug interfaces get cluttered up.

 >and using LINQ if I find places were this is sensible.

AFAIK, you can't use LINQ without forcing .NET 3.5 as a
requirement, which seems like too much of a jump.

 >I had the inspiration that the only difference between .NET 2
and
 >.NET 3.5 is that .NET 3.5 has some additional libraries and
 >programs targetted for .NET 3.5 can work on .NET 2, if they
ignore
 >the additional capabilities.

Which you're not doing, if you use LINQ.  It's safe to use new
features of the *compiler* (eg. lambdas, 'var's, and I think
extension methods as well); that will retain 2.0
compatibility.  But LINQ requires library support.