[antlr-interest] Java Grammar and how to use it to create a script language to my app

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Sun Nov 2 23:22:01 PST 2008

At 13:35 3/11/2008, Randall R Schulz wrote:
 >From the philosophical perspective, it's just that the
 >creation of entirely new languages should be viewed as
 >something that demands a specific justification. The
 >world (i.e., users; i.e., humans) do _not_ require more
 >languages! They want to use the ones they already
 >know!

Small DSLs (eg. for codegen tools; essentially structure or data
definition languages) can be quite useful, especially when you can
make them simpler or more readable than alternatives (eg. XML).

It's when you start wanting to put variables, expressions, and
other elements of an algorithmic language into it that I think you
really ought to strongly consider using an existing language.