[antlr-interest] ANTLR installation/use on Unix

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at att.net
Fri Nov 28 19:28:32 PST 2008

Hi Terence et al,

Am I just getting old, or shouldn't I be able to (in a More Ideal World(tm),
of course) do something like this on a Unix-like box?:

$ cd antlr-src-distro-dir/
$ make install
$ antlr --version

ANTLR Parser Generator  Version 3.1.1
[...]

???

I've read "How do I install this damn thing?" in the FAQ
(http://www.antlr.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=728), and
unfortunately I'm still left with the original question: how do I install
this damn thing?  Sure, I can untar everything to some arbitrary place, add
every JAR I find to CLASSPATH, and get this to work:

$ java org.antlr.Tool [command line params]

...but that sort of thing hasn't passed for "installing" since GPFs were
called UAEs.  And of course, I don't want to run Java, I want to run ANTLR,
so why are you making me type "java" and something that looks like part of
an URL?

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?  Is there a reason for the
current state of affairs?  If it's a matter of Makefile/shell-script-fu, I
can help out in that area.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle