[antlr-interest] can we require .NET 2 for ANTLR v3.2?

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Sat Nov 29 06:33:38 PST 2008

Micheal J schrieb:

> Hi,
>
>> I hijack the thread for a similar question: Does anyone still
>> use the CSharp target and not its successor? If not, I would
>> like to remove then the support for ANTLR 3.2. I know that I
>> said I would wait for ANTLR 3.3, but then I didn't expected
>> it to take so much to arrive (at least 1 1/2 years). If there
>> aren't any people complaining about this, I'll assume that no
>> one uses it anymore. Which is a pretty safe bet as no one
>> mailed me .NET 1.1 assemblies to upload (can't compile them
>> myself for .NET 1.1).  :)
>
> Kill CSharp. I suspect CSharp2 has undergone enough testing to date. You may
> want to add a CSharp3 in place of CSharp....

CSharp2 isn't that much different compared to CSharp, but yes, it is
pretty stable.

> Given that
>
> a) C#/.NET 4 is (supposedly) around the corner and,
> b) C#/.NET 3.x code can (be carefully designed/coded to) run on .NET 2.x
> runtimes without additional dependencies,
>
> you may want to go straight to .NET 3.x at the source level with .NET 2.x as
> the runtime.
>
> Micheal

The newest features C# 4 don't look useful to me for basing a runtime
on. Sam Harwell may have a different opinion, as he is working on a
CSharp3 variant, which will have some runtime dependencies for .NET 3.5.
So killing CSharp2 won't be possible for now, although one could create
a special .NET 2-CSharp3 runtime, where the missing libraries are taken
from Mono.

Johannes