[antlr-interest] ANTLR installation/use on Unix

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at att.net
Sun Nov 30 01:14:28 PST 2008

> From: James Abley
>
> There is a package for debian / Ubuntu but it's 2.x. Maybe
> the maintainers could be convinced to provide an antlr3
> package a la sqlite and sqlite3? Typically they do tend to
> lag behind the current releases, so you're probably just best
> off downloading and configuring your PATH with a wrapper
> script if you really need it.

Right, in fact I went one better and put together a whole
automake/autoconf/built-shell-script which builds a wrapper script and
installs everything where it needs to be and voila, It Just Works(tm)!

> A better option might be for you to use ANT or Maven to
> manage your builds, if you aren't already?

I'm not, but the building isn't my main concern, it's the installing and
using.  Like I say, maybe I'm missing something, but as far as I've been
able to determine, there simply isn't any support in the distribution for
even rudimentary installation and command-line use.  See my last post, I'd
be more than happy to contribute my solution if there's any interest in it.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle