[antlr-interest] Parsing Trees & Tree Grammars

Andy Tripp antlr at jazillian.com
Tue Sep 2 14:05:02 PDT 2008

Carter Cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been hoping to better understand the theoretical basis for parsing trees and doing tree transformations like what is done with Tree Grammars and Tree Walkers in ANTLRv3. Does anyone have any suggested reading which could be used to better understand the method choices and what is employed in this area?

The term to google is "term rewriting" - you'll find lots of tools and even more theoretical
technical papers on the subject. Here are a couple such tools:

http://www.txl.ca/
http://treedl.sourceforge.net/about.html

...and my entirely non-theoretical two cents on the subject:
http://jazillian.com/articles/treewalkers.html